Monday, April 24, 2006

Loving Us When We’re Bad

This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins (1 John 4:10).

Can you love someone that is unlovable?

Can you love someone that has been mean to you, who has said unkind things to or about you, and who has generally tried to hurt you? It’s hard isn’t it? Maybe you feel that you just can’t do it. You can’t bring yourself to love someone who doesn’t love you and shows no inclination to ever love you.

But wait a minute. That’s exactly what God does for us. He loves us when we don’t love Him. We live lives that are a thousand miles removed from the truth of His word – and yet He still loves us. Amazing isn’t it?

I can’t begin to understand or explain why God does that. It blows my mind. Of course He would love us if we were good. But why does He love us when we are bad?

Maybe it’s because that’s when we really need His love. Maybe it’s because He’s just good. Maybe it’s because He knows who He is and feels safe in loving us when we’re unworthy of His love. Maybe it’s a combination of the above. Maybe it’s something else entirely. I just don’t know.

But I’m mighty glad He loves us because I sure need His love.

Knowing that God loves me when I’m bad makes me want to be good. I’m suspicious that’s part of His plan. He wants me to love Him back.

“Tell me, Lord, how do I love you back?”

If you love Me, keep My commandments (John 14:15).

No comments: