Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A Father's Mercy

Let me tell you about a game I play.

Sometimes I am in a situation where I feel someone is being rude to me or not giving me proper service. It may be the checkout line at the grocery. It may be a fast food drive thru. It could be the doctor's office. It could be someone I am around on a daily basis. It might be anyone, anywhere. If I think they're being unkind to me, I try real hard to be kind to them. I try to be their opposite. I'm serious. I have actually played this game. I play it, not for fun, but to try and make myself grow.

I'm trying to develop mercy. When I feel that I would be justified in standing up and demanding my rights, I try to develop mercy. Maybe it will help the other person, or, maybe not. They might not notice, or they may just think I'm weird. My actions may not help them at all. But, it helps me every time.

When I show mercy, I am reminded of God's mercy. I'm reminded of how much I need God's mercy. I'm reminded that God's mercy and forgiveness are related to my mercy and forgiveness. If you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses (Matthew 6:15). When I show mercy to my neighbor I become more like God. My little game helps me do that.

Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful (Luke 6:36).

No comments: