Friday, April 28, 2006

Giving and Getting


With few exceptions, most people are more interested in receiving than in giving. When some kind of deal is proposed, both parties are usually asking, “What will I get out of it?” To suggest that what you give is more important than what you get is to fly in the face of conventional wisdom in the eyes of most. “What’s in it for me?” is the motto of our material-minded society.

Then, along comes Jesus saying just the opposite. As quoted by Paul in his farewell speech to the Ephesian elders, Jesus said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35).

Wow!

Their age was just as material as ours. I bet when Jesus said that, people stopped in their tracks and their jaws dropped. This sure wasn’t the way anyone they knew acted. It wasn’t the way they acted. But yet, Jesus said it, and everything He said was true.

How many people, do you think, of Jesus’ day, believed His statement? How many today believe it? Do you believe it? Do I believe it? That’s a hard question, if we face it honestly and candidly.

You know, in the Bible believing and doing go together. If we think of some ways we can give, and then begin to practice giving in the manners identified, I think we’ll see the beauty and practicality of what Jesus said – and we’ll begin to really believe it.

It is more blessed to give than to receive.

How can I give? Let me count the ways.

I can give the gift of kind words, even when someone is unkind to me.
I can give the gift of encouraging words, when someone who has failed cries for reassurance.
I can give the gift of admonishment, when someone has opportunities they are failing to use.
I can give the gift of unconditional love, when it’s really, really needed and it’s really, really hard to give.
I can give the gift of silence, when someone is hurting and needs my presence more than my words.
I can give the gift of joy, when someone has won a great victory and wants to share it.
I can give the gift of wisdom, when someone has yet to know the struggles I wish I had not known.
I can give the gift of physical possessions, when someone has yet to be blessed on the level that I am blessed.
I can give the gift of forgiveness, when someone daily needs it, as I daily need it.
I can give the gift of Christ, when someone desperately needs to see Him - in me!

No comments: