Friday, April 21, 2006

Feel Good versus Do Good Religion

Clearly Jesus expects us to have fervor in our Christian worship and service. …true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth (John 4:23 NKJV). Clearly Jesus also expects us to have a good feeling about being a Christian. In the Bible that feeling is often referred to as “hope.” …be not moved away from the hope of the gospel (Colossians 1:23 KJV).

However, it seems that many have moved away from proper Christian fervor and hope to a feel good religion that bares scant resemblance to what we read in the gospel. The Christian Life is not emotionalism. It springs from an intellectual decision which one makes to believe and obey the teaching of Jesus Christ.

Emotionalism puts our feelings in control. Our feelings may be easily swayed by any so-called preacher telling death-bed stories or even by a sad song heard on the radio.

Feelings are a poor basis for living. Nashville is north of where I sit as I write these words. Birmingham is south of here. I may get on the road and head south toward Birmingham, while feeling the whole time that I am heading north toward Nashville. You know where I’ll wind up. If I’m heading south, that road goes to Birmingham – no matter what my feelings say. The course of prudence is to look at an accurate road map and make an intellectual decision to head north on the road to Nashville, if that’s where I wish to go.

An intellectual decision has my mind in control, not my feelings. My feelings are a poor guide because they may tell me just about anything; especially something I may want to hear which is not justified by the cold, hard evidence.

The Christian Life is not a feeling. It is a life of doing good; toward God, toward my fellowman, and toward myself. Being swayed by emotions can get you in trouble. Calm and deliberate faith in and obedience to the word of God will win every time.

And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free (John 8:32 NKJV).

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God (Romans 7:25 NKJV).

No comments: