Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A Hundred Years From Now
None of This Will Matter


What are you thinking about right now?

What do you hope to accomplish today? If something is bothering you, what is it? Does it matter to you now? Of course it does. Will it matter to you in a hundred years? Now that’s another question.

It’s all a matter of valuation.

What things will I value the most, and therefore emphasize the most, in my life? That’s where my time will go. There I’ll spend my sweat and my money. There people will form their opinions of me. “There’s ole John. He’s a good golfer, He’s a poor gardener, he’s easy to get along with, he’s selfish, I like to be around him, he’s boring”…or whatever someone might think. There’s a good chance their opinions are highly influenced by what’s important to me.

The trick is to value the most that which will retain its worth and have a preserving effect, not only on me, but on those I interact with. Remember, as a Christian, I’m supposed to be the salt of the earth.

What matters now and what will matter in a hundred years? They’ve got to be the same. Here’s what Jesus said: Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you (John 6:27 KJV).

Jesus is using a figure, which He frequently does, to indicate what must take priority in our lives. Of course we must work for our physical bread, but we mustn’t let the physical bread become more important than our spiritual life. It can’t even be close.

What is the focus of my life? Is it all about me? Each of my actions today, each of my words today, each of my thoughts today…are they about now, or a few months from now or even a few years from now?

A hundred years from now, will what I have done today make any difference? Will it matter?

No comments: