Behold, I stand at the door and knock.
If anyone hears My voice and opens the door,
I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
(Revelation 3:20 NKJV)
The Guest Within
(Let us welcome Him and embrace Him)
This is a list of practical things that I can do every day to help me follow the precepts of Leviticus 11.44, Galatians 4.19, and Colossians 1.27.
For I am the LORD your God.
You shall therefore consecrate yourselves,
and you shall be holy; for I am holy….
(Leviticus 11:44 NKJV)
My little children,
for whom I labor in birth again
until Christ is formed in you,
(Galatians 4:19 NKJV)
To them [Christians, JB] God willed to make known
what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles:
which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
(Colossians 1:27 NKJV)
To get the most out of the list, you will need to read it slowly and think about each item. If you read it fast, trying to finish quickly, any potential benefit will be lessened. Ask yourself, “Would this help me be a better Christian if I actually did this?”
1. Pray for wisdom, humility, and repentance.
2. Do a kind act, perhaps a kind word, for someone you feel is undeserving of kindness.
3. Do a kind act for someone who is not expecting it – surprise someone.
4. Do a kind act for someone you feel is deserving, but for whom you have not sufficiently shown your appreciation.
5. Tell a family member, by words or actions, that you love them – a specific, unplanned till now, act.
6. Memorize one line (phrase or clause) of one verse of scripture, including its location.
7. Read your Bible for ten minutes, slowly and meditatively, thinking deeply about the meaning.
8. Give up something today: skip a meal, miss a TV show, turn off the radio, or something else.
9. Get up ten minutes early, or stay up ten minutes late, and spend that time so deep in prayer that you are physically tired when finished.
10. Should you have the urge to complain about something – don’t, just don’t.
11. Pick some personal sin, and pray about getting rid of it, then act on your prayer.
12. Pick something you think you are good at, and pray about using it in God’s service.
13. Think about how you can be more serious in your life.
14. Make a list of the ways the world would be better if everyone were like you.
15. Make a list of the ways the world would be worse if everyone were like you.
16. The next time you’re not getting your way, humble yourself, and let the other person have it their way. (This might work really well with your spouse.)
17. Think of how to respond to a trial in your life so as to bring glory to God.
18. Minimize your concept of your own ‘rights.’
19. Maximize your concept of the rights of others.
20. Act on your convictions (properly defined) without regard for the opinions and feelings of others.
21. Act on your convictions with regard for the opinions and feelings of others.
22. Know when to do which….
23. Identify areas of arrogance in your life…and destroy them.
24. Laugh at yourself.
25. Be touched by the sad condition of someone. Do something about it.
26. Add to my list…