Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Catharsis

Psalms 137
1 By the rivers of Babylon, There we sat down, yea, we wept When we remembered Zion.
2 We hung our harps Upon the willows in the midst of it.
3 For there those who carried us away captive asked of us a song, And those who plundered us requested mirth, Saying, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!"
4 How shall we sing the LORD'S song In a foreign land?
5 If I forget you, O Jerusalem, Let my right hand forget its skill!
6 If I do not remember you, Let my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth-If I do not exalt Jerusalem Above my chief joy. (NKJV)

Here in the land of plenty, we wept when we remembered our Christ.
Our four-wheel drive pickups sit in our three car garages beside our wife's Mercedes.
Our son quarterbacks the football team, our daughter is the head cheerleader.
The longings of our hearts have been met and exceeded.
We have willingly sold ourselves as captives to the opinions of others.
They have plundered our dignity and raped our innocence.
We remained enslaved to their expectations which we have adopted as our own.
If I forget you, O Yahweh,
If I do not cleave to you, my Messiah,
May you remind me of Your steadfast lovingkindness with the firmness of Your hand.
May my eyes behold what endures, and ignore what does not.
May purifying coals of fire be heaped upon my head, if I do not exalt You, my Lord and my Savior, as King of my life.

1 comment:

Scott said...

John, thanks for helping us keep things in perspective. Great thoughts.