Tuesday, May 09, 2006

…Yet Without Sin

The Hebrew writer said this about Jesus. He was talking about Jesus’ high priesthood and how He was an understanding High Priest because He had been tempted just like us, yet without sin (Hebrews 4:15).

Jesus lived in flesh just like mine. He had the same physical needs and desires that I have. He was exposed to temptation, just like I am. The physical part of His nature was no different from mine. But He never sinned. He lived a righteous life – and He lived it perfectly.

Let’s look at the “what” of this life. The “whys” and “hows” are separate questions. Let’s look at the “what.”

Define the perfect life, as lived by Jesus. What did he actually do? Then learn lessons from Jesus’ perfect life to help me improve my imperfect one.

Jesus did no wrong. Satan’s temptations in the wilderness challenged who Jesus was and what He was about (His mission). But our Lord’s faith in the Father never wavered nor did He accept an easy route to earthly power. Jesus had been without food for forty days straight. To say that He was hungry and physically weakened would be a great understatement. But He did not bow to the enticements of the devil.

Luke says that Satan left Jesus following the three recorded temptations “until an opportune time” (Luke 4:13 NIV). The Lord certainly experienced numerous temptations as He completed His work among a people that were often arrogant, hypocritical, materialistic, and rebellious. Think you have bad neighbors?

But He never sinned one time.

If Jesus could persevere, surrounded with the people He had to live with, surely I can cope with the temptations and trials that confront me. My challenges don’t even register on the scale – when compared to what Jesus dealt with on a daily basis. If He could put up with what He had to put up with – and avoid ever doing wrong – what is my problem when I fail?

I probably fail because I am focused too much on “me” and too little on my Christian mission. Jesus was so strongly focused on His mission, His work; that all the temptations became manageable.

Here’s focus: Jesus saith unto them, my meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work (John 4:34 KJV).

Jesus always did right. Remember, the devil is tempting Him at every “opportune time.” But, He’s still out there proactively, doing right. We might say, “Well, I’ve resisted temptation today, I’m tired now, I think I’ll just chill and rest.” When we resist temptation, that’s good, but we’re just half way there. Even when Jesus triumphed over temptation, even when He was tired – He still went on to do what was right. If His schedule was tight, if there were numerous demands on His time, if He was physically tired and emotionally exhausted – He still served!

If someone needed His help, He helped them. If someone needed His words, He taught them. If someone needed His care, He loved them. If there was right to be done, Jesus did it – always! He never quit.

Sure you’re tired when you get home from work, but your family needs loving. Sure you’re busy when your child asks you a question, but your child needs teaching. Sure you’re in a hurry, with a tight schedule of your own, when a suffering person needs someone to show that they care, but you can’t be a Christian just when it’s convenient.

Doing right is picking up the cross and getting it done. Do we bear our crosses daily? Do we even know what a cross is? Jesus knew! By bearing His cross, Jesus showed us how to live. We need to stop depending on psychologists and quite listening to so called self-help gurus – and start listening to Jesus.

Read the gospel and see His life; nothing bad, everything good. There’s my pattern.

The more I feed on His words and His example, the better I’ll get at living The Christian Life. With God’s help, let’s get it done in our own lives.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13 NKJV).

No comments: