Friday, May 12, 2006

When the going gets tough…


…the tough get going. You’ve heard that before. I think most Christians want to be spiritually tough. They see others who are apparent towers of strength during adversity…and they want to be like them.

But how? The situation reminds me somewhat of back in the day when my two sons played Dixie Youth baseball. A ball would be hit to some hapless youngster. He would miss it. And a non-professionally trained coach would yell, “Catch the ball, son!”

“Yeah, right coach. But how?”

A real coach would have explained to the child how to do the technique properly. If you will, God is a real coach. He demands performance at the highest level. And he instructs us, supports us, and encourages us on how to deliver.

Here are some Bible keys to that great big three-letter word: how.

Understand that trials are here to make us better.

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience (James 1:2-3 NKJV).

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:6-7 NKJV).

Now admittedly, this is a bitter pill to swallow. But it helps cure the disease. Trials are unpleasant, and often severely so, by definition. If they weren’t bad, they wouldn’t be trials, and they couldn’t accomplish the potential good that God intends.

Trials help us focus on eternity, where there are no trials. If I focus too closely on this world, it’s easier for me to allow it to control me – with devastating and eternal consequences. The often trying nature of this life nudges my gaze upward toward God my Savior. If I look to Him in faith and obedience, I’ll be eternally ok, no matter what happens here. Trials grab me by the ears, stare me straight in the eyes, and shout that essential information direct to my brain – where my behavior, and thus my destiny, is controlled.

Understand the background of trials.

Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned (Romans 5:12 NKJV).

All pain and suffering comes from one of three sources (and none of the three is God): Adam’s sin, my sin, or the sin of someone else. My pain may not be my fault, but it’s not God’s fault either. I don’t inherit the guilt of Adam’s sin, but I sure inherit the consequences of it, that is, pain and suffering. Read Genesis 3.

Trails are never God’s fault. When something bad happens to me, I don’t care what it is, if I blame God – I’m just wrong – simple as that. The more mature I am, the stronger my faith is: the less likely I am to falsely accuse my Heavenly Father. Trials are one thing that helps me move from weakness to strength. See the first point above. Other helpers include Bible reading, prayer, worship, and fellowship with my brethren. If you are struggling with a trial(s), the worst thing you can possible do is quit attending worship services, stop reading your Bible, and neglect unceasing prayer.

Understand that I’m not the only one to ever experience a trial.

Let me lift my head from my breast and look in God’s word at all the trials endured by all the Bible’s great heroes. Dare I think for a moment that Joseph, for instance, was not severely tried when he was betrayed by his own flesh and blood? Then in Egypt, he was the victim of the wrath of a woman scorned, whose blatant lie landed him in prison. But he kept his faith, and things worked out. There are multitudes of examples in both the Old and New Testaments of faith under fire.

And what more shall I say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak and Samson and Jephthah, also of David and Samuel and the prophets: who through faith subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in battle, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. Women received their dead raised to life again. And others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection. Still others had trial of mockings and scourgings, yes, and of chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two, were tempted, were slain with the sword. They wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented-- of whom the world was not worthy. They wandered in deserts and mountains, in dens and caves of the earth (Hebrews 11:32-38 NKJV).

When I am tried, I must concentrate on the Bible view of trials, not that of some people. Each of the above points began with the word “understand.” That is a key. If I can understand what the Bible says about pain and suffering, I have the potential, with God’s help, to handle things. Understanding, not emotionalism, is the key that unlocks the door to faith - which gives me strength to endure - and (by God’s grace) to prevail.

So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17 NKJV).

If you are in a trying time right now – receive encouragement from the teaching of God’s word. If your friend is in a trying time – help them; in love, gentleness, and patience; understand the hope that God gives us in His word.

No comments: