Thursday, June 15, 2006

A Death in the Family

It is always heart-wrenching to experience the loss of a close loved one. I spoke with a lady yesterday who lost her daughter many years ago and continues to experience deep grief. I know this story could be repeated millions of times. I lost my own dad in 1999 and still miss him every day. He was my best friend. Sometimes I dream about him. I did two nights ago. This story, also, could be repeated millions of times with different names, dates, and places.

There is an analogy here with God’s family. When a Christian leaves the church and returns to a life of sin, God experiences a death in the family. Not only does the unfaithful Christian abandon his Heavenly Father, but God loses a dear child. Praise to God, I have never lost a child. But I imagine there could be no greater hurt in this life than the death of one of one’s children. The grief must be unfathomable. If you leave God, He feels this way about you. It makes you feel special, doesn’t it? We are all special to God. He wants us all in heaven, safe and sound with Him. He sent His own Son so it could happen.

If you have left God, or if you have never known Him, the Parable of the Lost Sheep is about you. God loves you. God misses you. God wants you near Him. He reaches out to you through Jesus and His gospel. Accept God’s extended arms through faith and obedience to His word. Wherever you are lost among the rocks and cliffs of sin, God can find you. He can lift you up and bring you home. His love looks for you every day. His hand reaches out. Will you take it?

What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!' I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance (Luke 15:4-7 NKJV).

No comments: